Extherminate™ SafeHeat Kit Instructions
Prior to Arrival
- Please refer to the Heat Sensitive Checklist to prepare the room.
- Use a drawer or books to create a space between the box spring and the mattress. (This ensures that heat gets into the mattress and box spring and kills any bed bugs or eggs that may be living there).
- Pull away and unplug your stove/oven or dryer (this power outlet will be required to use the heater).
- The extherminate™ safeHeat kit has a maximum room size capacity of approximately 250-300 square feet. Anything larger then either more heaters are required or the room must be divided into 250-300 square foot rooms. This can be done using plastic poly and duct tape
Set-up and Treatment
- Place the extherminate™ safeHeat kit in the middle of the room being treated. Close to the bed, if there is one. MAKE SURE THE AREA AROUND THE extherminate™ safeHeat kit IS CLEAR OF ANY MATERIALS AND DO NOT PILE STUFF ON TOP OR AROUND IT!
- Open the lid and leave it open while operating.
- Plug the black cord into either the stove/oven or dryer outlet, depending on which one was ordered. Make sure the breaker is turned on inside the black power box attached to the cord.
- Press the green start button.
- Leave the lid on the heater open.
- Close the door to the room.
- Leave in the room for 24hours checking periodically. You can see the actual room temperature by reading the display of the thermostat inside the heater.
- The heater is set to 60 Celsius, but only 50 Celsius is needed to successfully kill all stages of bed bugs.
- Press stop and repeat the process in next room.
Pack up and ship
- Press stop and let cool for 15 minutes
- Unplug the black cord and power box. Roll up in approximately 1.5 foot diameter loops so it fits back in the heater.
- Place the power box and cord back into the box and close the lid. Lid must be closed all the way, you will hear a click.
- Take the return shipping label in the envelop, open the ziplock bag on the back of the heater, remove the old label, then place your new return label inside with the bar code facing out. If the old ziplock bag is damaged, please remove it and put a new one on. There should be one in the envelope. Make sure you remove the old label or it will just get shipped back to your house. Call Fedex at 1-800-463-3339 to let them know it’s ready for pick up. It has already been paid. There is a pin # at the bottom of the return label.
- Call us toll free at 1-844-411-2657 for any further questions or problems.
Heat Sensitive List
Please remove from the treatment area the following items:
- Plants (real & silk)
- Candles, wax, crayons, lipstick and other meltable cosmetics
- Medicines and vitamins
- Aerosol cans, fire extinguishers, lighters and other combustible items
- Oil paintings and acrylic paintings.
- Densely packed closets should be de-cluttered prior to treatment
- Fresh fruits and vegetables, chocolates, carbonated beverages, wines (remove from adjacent areas also), liquors, vitamins, medicines, and artificial sweeteners. In lieu of removal, small items may be placed in a refrigerator
- Vinyl Shutters
- Antique furniture with finish or fragile glue points
- Remove pictures / mirrors from walls. Plastic picture frames and glued corner pictures are high risk for heat damage.
- Vinyl records. Record jackets should be left in for treatment.
- All clothes, bedding, etc must be hung up or dried at the highest heat setting for 30 min, bagged and sealed, prior to treatment
- Tape corners and ends of laminate furniture with painters tape.
- Musical instruments – cases should be left in for treatment.
- Take down vinyl blinds and place outside in a safe place. Inspect for bed bugs prior to re-installation.
It is the owner’s or agent’s responsibility to deal with the following items: Fire sprinklers and heat sensors and any laminate furniture e.g. “IKEA Furniture”, vinyl floor tiles, possible heat sensitive items. Laminate finishes (IKEA style furniture) can be quite heat sensitive. In cases where the glue fails on furniture, we will not be responsible. Repair is simple with glue and painters tape. We ask that you use painters green tape to tape the corners and ends of any laminate finishes.
Remove smoke detectors and shut down any alarm systems
Carefully inspect and wash / disinfect with rubbing alcohol anything that you are bringing back into your home that was not treated. If it’s not necessary to bring the items back into the house it’s advised that you store the items for a minimum of 18 months prior to safely re-introducing them to your home.